Windows are a crucial part of the foundation of a home, and in many homes, they are the focal point. However, most homeowners know very little about their windows and what options they have in terms of replacements, materials and required maintenance throughout the years. The New England weather causes extreme wear and tear on windows, whether you have a house on the North Shore or a condo in Southie. Therefore, it is critical to educate yourself about windows and how to decide if it is time for a replacement. It is a big decision, and Pella has the expertise and premier quality products to help.
Choosing Replacement Windows
1. Find the Right Look: Don't feel stuck with standard grade windows. Pella of Boston windows are the perfect combination of exceptional performance and exquisite aesthetics that will not only be a gorgeous accent to your home but also save you money in the process. Nearly a century of fine craftsmanship has produced an exquisite and broad offering from which to choose, and if you are unsure which style best fits your needs, schedule a free consultation with one of our experts. A new fiberglass bay window will save you money, but still filter gorgeous sunlight into your classic Colonial home. A new wood window frame is a strong, sturdy option that will be the new focal point of your Back Bay Brownstone or historic Victorian in Newton. Pella has countless combinations of materials, colors, patterns and other features to make your house feel more like home.
2. Types of Material: It is difficult enough to choose a style, but another thing to consider in choosing your new windows is what sort of material they will be made of. You’ll want superior quality products that align with your taste and home and last for decades.
Wood – Pella's wood windows offer beauty, warmth and design flexibility, all while providing exceptional energy efficiency. Pella uses only ENERGY STAR® certified products, ensuring that your windows will provide financial relief, even in New England’s uncertain weather conditions. Choose from contemporary or traditional styles, with design differences highlighted in Pella’s Architecture or Lifestyle Series. Whichever you choose, wood is a can’t-miss, durable material with a classic look.
Fiberglass – Fiberglass is not just for boats or insulation in your attic; it is also an extremely reliable and cost-efficient window frame. Fiberglass is exceptionally durable and flexible, allowing it to withstand scorching summer heat, blustering storms, and icy winters. This material is also particularly low maintenance, so you won’t have to worry about damage and decay. Fiberglass is sleek and elegant, and Pella’s Impervia® series windows are the perfect fit for any modern home. Not to mention, fiberglass is a great insulator and is an extremely energy-efficient option.
Vinyl – Vinyl windows are a great combination of price and energy-efficiency. With many different styles from the brands you love, vinyl windows will last for years, while maintaining the same sharp look. Vinyl is a very low maintenance material that can blend with any home style and still look great. There’s no need to paint, stain or refinish them either, so check out ready-to-install vinyl windows for your home today.
Whichever material you choose, we stand behind your choice with a limited lifetime warranty.
3. Glass Loss: A big deterrent to getting new windows is the notion that you may be losing some glass surface area if you replace them with newer models. When an older window is replaced with a new one, the sash and window tracks are both removed, and the new window fits within the frame of the old window. This is basically like putting a box inside a box. However, that does not necessarily mean that you will lose surface area. At Pella, we know that you want to have as much glass as possible to allow natural light into your home. Our windows are specially designed to not yield any glass surface area on our replacement windows. We also offer a full-frame replacement option to ensure that there was damage left behind from the old frame, as well as to fit the new window and maximize the glass area.
4. Innovation: Beyond just the window itself, there are several additional features you should look for in a window. Pella has been a leader in innovation with over 150 patents since 1925. Some of the more popular innovative features are blinds built between the panes of glass. Never worry about cleaning your blinds again. Also, consider the integrated Rolscreen® retractable screen. A double- and single-hung screen that appears when you open the window, and rolls away, out of sight, when you close it.
5. Window Installation: At Pella of Boston, we understand the importance of customer service. In our industry, there are many uncertainties, and other companies could leave you high and dry when it comes to complaints or questions you may have. This is because most companies sell to distributors and have contractors do the installation. Down the road, when you have a question about how your window will hold up against a big storm, or if your window is a bit drafty, those companies, distributors, and contractors are hard to track down. And, when you do track them down, they tend to point the finger at one another, leaving you helpless.
Pella eliminates this problem by controlling the whole process, from distribution to installation. Our team is fully licensed to install your new doors and windows and can help answer any questions you may have. Plus, we have a dedicated customer service staff to ensure a resolution, if there are any problems.
6. Permits and Approvals: Do you live in a historic home? Are you unsure if you can replace the windows in your condo? Pella has you covered. We are completely up to date on all Massachusetts historical and zoning ramifications. Also, we have extensive knowledge of the laws surrounding historic homes and how to handle any and all replacements. We will comply with any parameters laid out in your condo association regarding windows and doors, ensuring you are 100% satisfied with our compliance with regulations.
7. Warranty: Pella products are backed by some of the strongest warranties in the business. Whether it’s a new wood window or some vinyl windows for your home, we have you covered. Pella offers a lifetime guarantee for your windows and doors, as long as you own and occupy the home where they were installed. Most cracks, peels, defects or sliding issues with your doors or windows will be covered by our warranty. We stand by the quality of our products and our service, and we offer this lifetime warranty to ensure our customers are getting the best treatment. See complete details on our limited lifetime warranty here.
8. Energy Efficiency: New England is notorious for unpredictable and harsh weather. The summers are so brutally hot that you have to crank your A/C all the way up, salt air and wind pulverize the outside of your home, and the snowy winters cause extreme wear and tear to every part of your home. In these extreme temperatures, we rely heavily on air conditioning and heating to keep us sane. But if you have windows that are getting up there in age, it may be time to consider replacements. Even doors and windows that may work fine could actually be costing you hundreds of dollars in heating and cooling costs every year. In fact, according to energy.gov, windows are responsible for 25-30% of residential heating and cooling use.
Pella uses ENERGY STAR efficient products, which help eliminate excess energy costs. Homeowners who install ENERGY STAR windows save an average of 12% on their utility costs throughout the year*. Based on median Massachusetts utility bills, that is an average saving of $288 per year. Not only will you save money, but new windows also increase a home’s property value, boosting your home’s selling price by up to $12,000**. Regardless of whether you are selling your home or simply improving it, Pella’s ENERGY STAR products are a great investment.
9. Financing: The majority of home improvement projects are more expensive than anticipated. Paying a large amount of cash up front can create financial hardships for many Americans. Pella has great financing options for all types of projects with interest rates as low as 0%. Our team will work with you to find the most affordable option for your budget.
10. Deals: Not every deal is as good as it seems. Some brands offer oversized discounts that seem like a real bargain, compared to the previous price. Pella offers excellent promotions for most of our products and is 100% upfront and honest with our customers about the kind of value they are getting. Your satisfaction is our success.
We know that replacing windows is a big decision. At Pella, we are committed to helping you find the perfect window for your home and educating you along the way. There are many factors that go into a window replacement decision: style, energy efficiency, material, whether to finance and more.
Speak to a Pella professional today, and start your window replacement journey.
* Window energy efficiency calculated in a computer simulation using RESFEN 6.0 default parameters for a 2000 sq. foot new construction single-story home when Pella Lifestyle Series windows with the respective performance package are compared to a single-pane wood or vinyl window. The energy efficiency and actual savings will vary by location. The average window energy efficiency is based on a national average of 94 modeled cities across the country and weighting based on population. For more details see pella.com/methodology.
**According to the National Association of Realtors 2015 cost vs. value report.